Albino guinea pigs are a rare and beautiful breed of animal. They have white skin, pink eyes, and lack pigment in their hair. Albino guinea pigs can be very expensive due to their rarity and because they need special care that other breeds don’t require.
This blog post has everything you need to know about albino guinea pigs: what they look like; how much it costs; how to take care of them; etc.
Introduction of Albino Guinea Pig ?
Albino guinea pigs have a genetic mutation that causes their skin and hair to be white or pale-colored. They also have pink eyes.
Albino guinea pigs are also known as “white” guinea pigs, “pink-eyed” guinea pigs, and “vitiligo” guinea pigs.
Recently, albino guinea pig breeders have been able to produce more colors of albinos than just plain white or flesh-colored–such as black/flaxen albino, brown/albino, cinnamon albino, cream dilute albino, cinder all blue-eyed white, etc.
They are very beautiful and make a unique addition to any household.
Difference between Albino Guinea Pig and Other Guinea Pigs?
Most guinea pigs have brown or black hair, and their skin can be any number of different colors (white; pink; tan; gray).
Albino guinea pigs have white/pink skin and a lack of pigment in the hair. The color of their eyes depends on what type of albino they are: if they have one dominant albino gene, then their eyes will be pink. If they have two dominant albino genes, then their eyes will be bright red.
Albino guinea pigs also need special care because you should not expose them to direct sunlight for too long because it could cause sunburn. Therefore, you should only let your albinos play outside for an hour or two a day. This means that albino guinea pigs are not good pets for children because they can’t be exposed to sunlight for too long.
Main Albino Characteristics:
- Albino guinea pigs have pink eyes or red eyes, depending on what type of albino they are (dominant or recessive).
- They have white skin and hair.
- Some albinos may have freckles on their skin; with others, the skin is very dark with almost no freckles at all. Their skin will appear normal, but it’s possible that it could turn yellow if their diet is poor (i.e. low in carotene like carrots, parsley, dandelions, and mustard greens).
Where do Albino Guinea Pigs Come From?
Albinos are a result of a recessive gene that causes the skin and hair to be white or pale. They also have pink eyes.
There is an albino guinea pig breed called “blue-eyed white”, which has blue eyes instead of pink eyes. The black/flaxen albino, brown/albino, cinnamon albino, cream dilute albino, cinder all blue-eyed white, tortoiseshell all-white, etc., are other types of albino guinea pigs.
Ways for taking care of an Albino guinea pig?
It’s quite difficult to take care of albino guinea pigs. Follow the below steps properly
1. They need a warm and well-lit environment to stay healthy.
2. You should never take your albino guinea pig outside in the sun for long because their lack of pigmentation leaves them vulnerable to sunburn.
3. If you plan on getting an albino, it’s best not to get one if you have kids–unless they know how to handle them properly. Also, since albinos are so delicate, children might accidentally drop or step on them which could cause serious injury/death to your pet.
4. Albino guinea pigs cannot be exposed to direct sunlight for too long–otherwise, their skin might get burned (like sunburn).
5. Give them a diet that includes fruits and vegetables high in carotenes because this will prevent their skin from turning yellow.
How rare is an albino guinea pig?
Albinos are not rare. They make up about 7% of the whole guinea pig population.
However, there are many different types of albino out there–such as black/flaxen albino, brown/albino, cinnamon albino, cream dilute albino, cinder all blue-eyed white, etc. These colors are very rare and they are hard to find in pet stores or breeders because they are just so pretty!
Do albino guinea pigs have health problems?
Yes. Because albinos lack pigment in their skin, they are very sensitive to the sun.
Most albino guinea pigs can handle brief periods of sun exposure without any problems, but it’s best not to let them stay out for too long because this could cause potentially fatal sunburns.
Albinos also cannot eat foods that are high in carotenes (like carrots) because these foods could turn their skin yellow or orange–which is something that most people don’t like seeing on an albino guinea pig (it looks like he/she has jaundice).
Since albinos have red eyes, it’s important to make sure that your pet doesn’t get his/her eyes poked by something sharp because if so, he/she could go blind in that eye.
Albino guinea pig’s lifespan?
Albinos should live about 5-6 years because they are genetically predisposed to having genetic disorders like HP for example.
Some albino guinea pigs live longer than others, but it’s hard to tell which ones will make it to their junior or senior years because some of them die young (about 3-4 years old).
Are white guinea pigs pinkeye albino?
No. Pinkeye is a white film that forms on your guinea pig’s eyes and it could be a symptom of a particular illness or disease in your pet.
However, if you have an albino, it’s possible that they could have this because their lack of pigment leaves them more vulnerable to the sun. This means that they are at risk for sunburns too–which can make their eyes look like they have pinkeye (aka conjunctivitis).
Albinos also get skin cancer as humans do, so make sure you visit your vet regularly to get his/her skin checked out (to ensure there are no cancerous growths developing)–especially for blue-eyed albinos since their eyesight isn’t as great as other albinos.
Types of albino guinea pig?
Blue-Eyed White – The most common type of Albino guinea pig (categorized by its light pink to very white color, copper or blue eyes, white fur, and pink skin).
Black/Flaxen Albino – A rare type of albino guinea pig that has a cream-colored coat with dark slate gray ticking. It also has copper to orange eyes.
Cinnamon Albino – Almost the same thing as black/flaxen albino only it’s slighter lighter in color (almost beige) and its markings are distinctively cinnamon–meaning that you can see these markings even when an albino isn’t in full coat.
Brown/Albino – This is another rare type of albino guinea pig that makes their hair appear off-white because of its light brown ticking or agouti pattern.
Cream Dilute Albino – This albino is very light in color with agouti bands that are cream-colored. They have blue or red eyes and their fur is creamy white or off-white. Cream dilutes might be mistaken for pink-eyed dilutes, but the difference here is that cream dilutes have black noses instead of flesh/pink ones.
Cinder All Blue-Eyed White – Cinder all is a variation of the Siamese gene which makes them look like they have dark points (ears, feet, tail), but their body has this grayish-blue color to it. Their eyes are also different–they are either hazel, tan, green, or bright blue.
Cinder All White – This albino guinea pig has a dark grayish-blue color to its body and its points (ears, feet, tail) are much darker too (like cinder all). They also have different eye colors like Cinder all do–but the difference is that they don’t have white eyes; instead, they have black ones.
What is the rarest guinea pig color?
The rarest guinea pig colors are cinnamon albino, brown/albino, cinder all blue-eyed white, cinder all white, cream dilute all blue-eyed white.
What is the most common color?
The most common colors of guinea pigs are black/flaxen albinos and blue-eyed whites (categorized by its light pink to very white color, copper or blue eyes, white fur, and pink skin). Plus there’s teddy bear – teddy bear isn’t actually a breed name; instead, it’s just an overall term for any hardy long-haired variety. They’re called teddy bears because they have thick coats that resemble teddy bears
Cost of a Normal Albino Guinea Pig?
Normal (albino) guinea pigs aren’t as expensive as the rarer colored ones. They usually cost between $20-$30 each and these prices don’t fluctuate that much (unless you’re okay with spending more for higher-quality feeders). I
f you want to buy them from your local pet store, then expect to pay less than if you were planning on buying one online.
Even though they’re cheaper in price, there are still times when people will try to sell their normal albino guinea pigs at an extremely high price like $60+ which is actually unreasonable because of the chances of getting an albino guinea pig from a pet store is very low. They’re more likely to be sold at an online pet store because they tend to sell rarer pets and albino guinea pigs are one of the rarer ones.
Also See : Rex Guinea Pig | Best Facts to know in 2021
How do I know if my guinea pig is lethal white?
Lethal white guinea pigs are extremely rare–but they’re not albinos; instead, they’re color-bred (cross-bred) to get this blue color. This is because the lethal gene masks/overrides any other pigmentation genes like ci-, cb+, or cc+. The main thing you need to look out for when it comes to identifying a lethal white is their eyes; only lethal whites will have blue eyes (this also goes for mutants).
Is a white guinea pig with red eyes albino?
No, a white guinea pig with red eyes is not an albino because the only way they will have red eyes is if they were color-bred (cross-bred) to get this color. Albino guinea pigs will always have pink skin and dark points (ears, feet, tail).
Amazing facts about albino guinea pigs
- Albino guinea pigs are very sensitive to light; they can go blind if their eyes are exposed for too long.
- Most of the white color-bred (albino) guinea pigs (like polar bears, extreme whites, and various other white varieties) will have red eyes like the one in the picture above. Only albino guinea pigs will have pink skin or dark points (ears, feet, tail).
- Albino guinea pigs can live with other pigmented (colored) ones like black and brown (sooty) but not always because some albinos will be very light sensitive.
- Albino is a color-bred (recessive), recessive trait; the only way to produce this color is through cross-breeding two different pigmented (colored) varieties like black or brown (sooty). In
- In order for a baby guinea pig to be born albino, both parents need to have this color gene.
- Albinos also have poor eyesight and can go blind if their eyes are exposed for too long. They’re known as the “blind” breed of guinea pigs even though not all of them will be blind–only those with extremely light-sensitive eyes will be unable to see.
We hope you enjoyed this post about albino guinea pigs! If you want to see more, let us know in the comments below. We’re always looking for new topics to cover on our blog.
We’d also like to thank you for all your support of our blog and we wish you luck in your future guinea pig breeding adventures!