Can guinea pigs eat green apples? Guinea pigs can eat green apples, but only as a treat. Green apples are packed with good nutrients for your guinea pig, but they also contain sugar and are slightly sour.
Eaten in large quantities, they can cause digestive problems. Give your piggie about one or two green apples a week.
Feeding too many green apples to your guinea pig may make him bloated and could make his teeth fall out.
Excess of anything is bad.
Even though green apples are healthy for guinea pigs to eat, there are some precautions that you should consider before giving them to your pet. So, Can guinea pigs eat green apples? Yes they can but in moderation.
If your guinea pig is diabetic or has kidney problems, he should not eat green apples because of their high sugar content. Also, if he is underweight due to an underlying health problem, it’s best not to give him any additional food but hay.
Green apples can also cause diarrhea, so it’s a good idea to keep a bowl of fresh water nearby at all times. If your guinea pig is sure to eat this treat from time to time, he doesn’t have to worry about digesting it.
Also See : Can Guinea Pigs Eat Mushrooms?
More to know about Guinea pigs and green apples
Also, if he is underweight due to an underlying health problem, it’s best not to give him any additional food but hay. Bigger apples are better to eat, but make sure he has hay too for calcium. So, Can guinea pigs eat green apples? Yes they can but not when they are unhealthy.
NEVER let your guinea pig run around with an apple in his mouth. Apples will rot quickly and give him severe food poisoning. If you forget to take it out of his mouth, then you can try washing it with water immediately, but the bacteria that causes the illness is still in it.
But don’t think of letting your guinea pig chew on an apple…it’s not good for the teeth! Bad for teeth = bad for health.
Are Green Apples Good for Guinea Pigs? | Health Benefits
Apart from their great taste, green apples have many benefits for your guinea pigs. The following are some of these benefits:
- Green apples are high in fiber
- They are low in sugar
- They promote good digestion because they are full of digestive enzymes. So, Can guinea pigs eat green apples? Yes they can with all these nutrients in it.
- They have Vitamin C, an antioxidant. This is a vitamin that helps form healthy bones, teeth, and blood vessels. It also assists in healing cuts and wounds.
Vitamin A is necessary for guinea pigs
The only downside to green apples is that they do not contain any Vitamin A for eyesight. To make up for this lack of Vitamin A, you can either supplement the guinea pig’s diet with carrots or sweet potatoes to get the necessary amount of vitamin A or give it a very small amount of carrot juice every day to get the vitamin A it needs.
So, Can guinea pigs eat green apples? Yes they can but for giving them vitamin A try something else.
Aside from carrots, there are other vegetables that you can give to your pet. These include spinach, dandelion leaves, mustard leaves, broccoli stems, cauliflower stems, etc. Pick the bitter greens that are packed with nutrients. Avoid giving your guinea pig fruits which are sweet because these do not have enough nutritional value compared to vegetables.
The following should be avoided :
- Sugary things like fruit juices and candies should be avoided. When it comes to fruits, you can only give them a small slice of apple or orange or one whole banana every other day..
- Vegetables that grow under the ground should also be avoided because they cannot be digested properly if eaten in large amounts. Examples of these include potatoes, carrots, and sweet potatoes.
- Beans should also be avoided because they contain a toxin called hemagglutinin. This toxin can lead to intestinal problems and diarrhea.. To avoid this, remove the beans’ outer shells before giving them to your guinea pig..
- Foods that are high in fat are not good either because guinea pigs are not capable of absorbing any fats.. This includes avocado, peas, cheese, breads, etc.
- Green apples should be avoided because they are low in Vitamin A. You can get the vitamin A that your guinea pig needs from carrots and other vegetables.
As aforementioned, the answer to the question Can guinea pigs eat green apples is yes. But for Vitamin A give them something else
If you’re having a hard time finding food for your guinea pig, you can always purchase guinea pig food from your local pet store. There are plenty available to choose from, including GREEN APPLES for guinea pigs or fruit flavored greens and vegetables.
Pick the one that is right for your guinea pig’s age and size because different age guinea pigs need different amounts of nutrients.